In the year 1888, a need for better qualified employees in the West Tennessee area was realized. To meet this need, the Jackson School of Business was opened. The school specialized in offering only business subjects like the three R’s: reading, ‘riting, and ‘rithmetic, along with spelling and bookkeeping.
In 1923 West Tennessee Business College was also organized in Jackson. It was located in the former Montgomery Ward building at the east corner of College and Liberty Streets. In 1928, the school was moved to the third floor of the Elks Building on Baltimore Street. In 1929, the Jackson School of Business and West Tennessee Business College were merged and became known as West Tennessee Business College. This name was retained because so many of the students attending WTBC were residents of towns outside Jackson and Madison County.
West Tennessee Business College was again moved in 1958 when property was purchased on East Main Street. In 1977, the College was purchased by the New World Corporation, located in Anniston, Alabama. In 1981, WTBC moved to its present location on Highway 45 Bypass. The College's curriculum is designed to meet the needs of new and expanding industry and business in West Tennessee.
West Tennessee Business College : 1186 Hwy 45 Bypass : Jackson, TN 38301